Darwin Project

Lucas Peet lpeet at lucastek.com
Mon Apr 15 20:11:24 CDT 2002

I've had really good luck with gtoaster, and the interface is pretty nice.
Something screwed it up (I don't remember what, I think it was an upgrade to
Ximian gnome from the default RH7.2 version) and it quit running.  I needed
to burn an audio CD, so I downloaded Fireburner.  That worked very well for
audio, but I couldn't figure out how to burn data with it.  I've since
gotten gtoaster to work again, and that's what I use.

Unfortunately, my CDRW is also a DVD drive.  I've gotten DVD's to play, but
they are pretty choppy. This shouldn't be, as the system is a AthlonXP 1.4.
When RedHat installed, it recognized the drive as a CDRW, and installed the
options hdc=ide-scsi, and because it's using SCSI emulation, DMA access
doesn't work.  I'm thinking that if I disable the ide-scsi, and enable DMA
access, it will stop the choppiness of my DVD's, but I haven't had the time
to try it yet.

-Lucas