More on spam

Duston, Hal hdusto01 at sprintspectrum.com
Wed Apr 10 21:13:27 CDT 2002

Eric Rossiter [mailto:rossiter at discoverynet.com] wrote:
> "Duston, Hal" wrote:
> > Jonathan Hutchins [mailto:hutchins at opus1.com] wrote:
> > > Is illiana.net the actual server we run on?  If so,
> > ? it's an open spam relay and subject to being blackholed
> > > - somebody ought to fix it.
> > --headers snipped--
> >
> > Yes, illiana.net is the server we run on.
> >
> > How did you determine that it is an open spam relay?
> > Not saying you didn't, but I'm curious?
> >
> > Hal
>
> Subject: Newest Free Porn Pics & Videos!!!
> Sender: owner-kclug at marauder.illiana.net
>
> Just a guess... am I right?

But. . .

$ telnet illiana.net smtp
Trying 207.227.243.140...
Connected to illiana.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 marauder.illiana.net ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.1/8.12.1; Wed, 10 Apr 2002
15:58:28 -0500
HELO echo.sound.net
250 marauder.illiana.net Hello echo.sound.net [205.242.192.21], pleased to
meet you
MAIL FROM: hald at sound.net
250 2.1.0 hald at sound.net... Sender ok
RCPT TO: hald at sound.net
550 5.7.1 hald at sound.net... Relaying denied
QUIT
221 2.0.0 marauder.illiana.net closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.

I suppose it is all in how you define the word relay.
In one sense, the entire point of majordomo _is_ to
relay email.  In other words, I send an email, and it
relays it to everybody on the list.  That spam was in
fact sent to kclug at kclug.org, so naturally, majordomo
relayed it.

Hal