W2K to Linux

Dustin Decker dustind at moon-lite.com
Mon Apr 8 21:45:13 CDT 2002

On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, Eric Rossiter wrote:
> Nope, no conversion that I know of.  you can wax M$ (which is what the
> majority here will recommend) or dual boot.  The other drives can be
> mounted in and used by Linux just the way they are, if I'm not
> mistaken.  You will need FAT support in the kernel.

Remember also that if you intend to actually _keep_ Win2K on this box,
you should still make use of the NTFS format if you expect any modicum
of security to be available while using that OS.  The catch is, of
course, that NTFS is currently (correct me if I'm wrong) supported
read-only and nothing more on Linux.

You can make use of FAT between both operating systems if, like Eric
pointed out, you have FAT support in your kernel.  I'm not up to speed
on FAT32 support, but expect it might be available as well.  If it is, I
think I would prolly recommend it - FAT16 is pretty crappy.
Dustin

--
"Even nowadays a man can't step up and kill a woman without feeling just a
bit unchivalrous..." -- Robert Benchley