Further adventures in Firewall upgrades

Gerald Combs gerald at ethereal.com
Mon Apr 8 15:26:02 CDT 2002

On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

> Having gotten past that hurdle, the next one was when the machine rebooted
> after the upgrade.  Which brings up another point - isn't one of the big
> complaints about Microsoft that you have to reboot to upgrade?  This upgrade
> required two reboots, one to launch the upgrade, and one to implement it.
> That, and several to recover from it.

Sun has a package for Solaris called LiveUpgrade.  It lets you upgrade or
install a copy of Solaris on an unused disk/partition while the original
OS is still running.  I've wondered why this isn't more prevalent.  The
concept is pretty simple - instead of running the OS installer at boot
time, you pop in a disk and run it like any other application.