SNF - not ready yet

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at opus1.com
Sat Apr 6 02:18:06 CST 2002

Well, I might have done a lot better if I'd sat down with a manual instead
of just tearing into it.  I swapped in the Mandrake SNF system tonight, and
after some struggle to get the external interface up was starting the long
list of add-ons - rpmfind, fetchmail, ncftp...  When I discovered that there
was no DNS server on my network anymore.  The RH6.2 system has a caching
DNS, and while there is evidence that the Mandrake system might have one
installed, it isn't configured or started, and it's not in the GUI menus.
That's pretty silly, because a caching DNS doesn't need any local
information.

So out she came, and I'm downloading the RH7.2 CD's for an upgrade.  I might
try duplicating the (1.2G) hard drive as  a backup first, but I'll probably
just storm right in and run the update, then dig myself back out.