Network Monitors: ethereal

Gerald Combs gerald at ethereal.com
Fri Apr 5 15:09:21 CST 2002

On Thu, 4 Apr 2002, Brian Densmore wrote:

> Pull down the source and compile it. Don't be such a chicken. ;')
>
> >From source you need to make sure you have GTK+, GLib, and libpcap.
> and PERL [if you want to read the documentation]. :')
>
> If you have zlib and net-snmp, cmu-snmp, it'll use them also.
> GTK and GLib can be found here : http://www.gtk.org/
> libpcap here: http://www.tcpdump.org

Once you've downloaded and unpacked Ethereal, you can do

./configure
make rpm-package

and viola - you have a ready-to-install RPM custom-built for your system.

> PS if you have a newer distro, ethereal is probably on the CD.

...and if you do, it's probably broken in some way.  Most of the distros
(RH in particular) usually find some interesting new way to break Ethereal
with each release.  I usually compile from source.