static IP options

Charles K. Lee II chuckx at cold-sun.com
Tue Apr 2 16:32:25 CST 2002

On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 05:31:56PM -0600, Chris Rickert wrote:
> What kind of website are you wanting to set up?  I have 3 websites all with
> real domain names running off of cable *not a business account.  They don't
> seem to care since the sites don't generate much traffic.  I use a free
> dynamic dns service with my domain name and dynamic ip.  whenever TWC
> changes my IP number, i simply log into my account with my dns provider and
> change the ip. TWC hardly ever changes my IP.  I think it's changed 3 or 4
> times since last march.

I do the same.  My IP address has changed once since I started the service
back in September.  The only reason it changed was because I had my DHCP
client send a different client ID, for the expressed purpose of getting a
new IP.  I had a lot of random requests coming in to my old IP from all over
the net :P.

I use the dynamic DNS service provided by http://www.dyndns.org.  There are
lots of other similar, free services out there.

I haven't had any problems running a web, SSH and FTP server.

--
- chuckx | Charles K. Lee II -
- chuckx at cold-sun.com -