Compiling the Kernel

Duston, Hal hdusto01 at sprintspectrum.com
Fri Nov 30 18:55:54 CST 2001

Johathon,

After installing the new kernel sources, you can
see exactly what you need in the Documentation/Changes
file.  That lists what versions of what applications
you will need.  The main things to verify for
compiling the kernel are `make', `gcc', and `binutils'.
The rest of the requirements generally refer to
actually running the new kernel.

Generally, you only have to recompile the modules for
a new kernel, or if you have changed your kernel config
between SMP and non-SMP.  Otherwise their is no need.
make modules will run through the entire tree and do
nothing anyway, so it's not really a big loss.  I
only do `make mrproper' and `make dep' after the
initial tree install.  After that those things never
change regardless of any config changes I might make.

Hal