[KULUA] file descriptor question

David Nicol nicold at umkc.edu
Thu Nov 29 22:34:05 CST 2001

"Torchia, Jeff" wrote:

> >>it is possible to pass an open file descriptor from one >> process to
> another and if so how?
>
> If the two processes are parent/child, then you have all the info needed to
> open a pipe for communication between the two processes.  There is probably
> a better/simplier solution, but it is coming to me at the moment.
>
> Jeff T.

the two processes are not parent/child.  I want to have a non-root
process respond to TCP connections to a low port (okay, port 80) without
the process doing a change of UID.

I could use a system of named fifos, but then all the data would need
to go through the fifo and the accepting process each way.

What I need is a way to duplicate an open FD (such as stdin) to something
named.