xstat question

Nathan nate.lists at we-communicate.com
Mon Nov 26 16:45:18 CST 2001

I just finished a google search on "xstat" and learned that it is a performance monitoring tool.
I'm wondering why I would have had two instances running on my dedicated server and why they were
hogging 99% of my CPU? I've never seen this happen before, and as soon as I killed both processes,
my processor utilization dropped to less than 10%, which is normal. Also, my load average was
between 2.30 and 2.40, where is it usually below .5. I don't have an "xstat" in my /etc/rc.d/init.d
folder. I'm running Apache which I compiled with SSL, Qmail (with EZMLM), and that's pretty much it
as far as workhorse software on the server goes.

I've had this box up for 135 days (it would be double that except for a really dumb mistake I made
136 days ago :) and today was the first time I noticed xstat hogging the resources like that. I
check top a couple times a week, so it's a relatively new issue. I don't know when it will pop up
again.

I'm still relatively new to Linux, so this may be a very entry level issue. It was funny, I'd never
used "kill" before, had to read the man page on it before killing those processes.

Any suggestions on where to look, why, what could have caused this??

Nathan