OS Performance

zscoundrel zscoundrel at kc.rr.com
Thu Nov 22 14:52:34 CST 2001

I would like to see some real world comparisons.  End-to-end comparisons
of real tasks like operning spreadsheets, calculating data and
spell-checking a 300 word letter.  The kinds of tasks a real person migh
encounter in the course of a real day.  Oh, some timing on web surfing
might be good too.  I know my free cell works better and faster on Linux
than it does on my wife's indenitcal 'doze 98 machine, and I have far
fewer lock-ups, but as far as surfing or anything else, it is too close
to call.

One comparison I can see right off is the availablility of drivers for
hardware.  EVERY time I buy some hardware without checking to see of it
is compatible, I regret it.  Xerox seams to be the worst.  Customer
service does not return Email or phone messages when you tel them you
have linux.  I guess they only consider  'doze customers to be real
customers.

Anybody know if there are Linux drivers for the xerox m750 workcentre?
I have looked and looked, but haven't found anything yet.  I would just
write it off and buy another printer, but I can't afford it right now,
and the old HP I had been using is shot.

--
At 20, I was liberal, because I had nothing to lose and so much to gain.
by 40, I was conservative, because I had so much to lose and so little to gain.