Linux PDA experience?

Jim Herrmann Jim at itdepends.com
Thu Nov 22 02:39:09 CST 2001

On Wednesday 21 November 2001 07:28 am, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
> [...]

Mandrake 8.1 came with JPilot, but yeah, there are RPMs, source, whatever
works for you.  There is a HOWTO for getting the Handspring to work.  I don't
have a link, but search in the LDP and it will show up.  That's where I found
out that the Handspring is not visible to Linux until the hot sync button is
pressed.

> > Lotus Notes definitely works with the Palm OS based products,
> > but I'm not sure about Linux based.
>
> Reportedly runs under WINE, and IBM has documented how to get it to work.
> Wonder if you could get Hotsync to run under WINE as well?  Then you'd be
> set.

Why would you want to do that?  I see no need to use a Windoze tool here.
The OSS tools work with complete adequacy.  Except for that Notes thing.

> IBM's Linux support is mostly for Linux as a server OS.  Then again, their
> end-user desktop support has never been that good...

But they bought Lotus!?  Formally known as the world's leading PC software
company.  The guys in Cambridge should be looking into Linux real hard.

Peace,
Jim