netscape4.7

David Nicol nicold at umkc.edu
Wed Nov 21 19:59:31 CST 2001

Aldis A Tuck wrote:

> I'm using netscape 6.2 I've never really used 4.7, i guess because I'm always
> looking for the new stuff so that I'm more comfortable with Linux. I recently
> installed mandrake 8.1 and chose not to install 4.7 because too many of
> anything confuses me.  I really like netscape 6.2  though even if it is kind
> of  slow.  Its just as slow in windows.

what I would like to see, and KFM/Konqueror is not this, sadly, is a fully
multiprocessed forking web browser that forks every time it tries to do
anything and keeps all common information in some kind of scoreboard or
does internal communication with named unix sockets.  Netscape 4.7 is the
latest in the main stream netscape releases, but it has this awful habit
of locking up while waiting for network time-outs.  Apparently whoever
wrote the connect-to-remote-site piece did not bother to use non-blocking
IO.  This would be fixed if every window was its own lightweight process
that referred to the page cache system.  I don't think it would be too
very tricky to create this beast if motivated:  you might start with
the "grail" source code instead of Mozilla.  Grail is (was?) a netscape
3 clone written in python.