LDAP

JD Runyan Jason.Runyan at nitckc.usda.gov
Fri Nov 16 15:39:31 CST 2001

You left this very vague.  I have managed LDAP servers for a couple of
years now.  The most important thing is to plan your LDAP tree ahead of
time.  Is the server going to be used for one location?  Will it hold
server configuration data?  Will it have email routing info, or just
lookups?  Are there different classes of users?  The systems I manage
now have 4 sub trees from the basedn.  It looks like this

                         basedn
			 | | | |
	      +----------+ | | +----------+
	      |     +------+ +-----+      |
           Admins   |              |   Special
	         People         Profiles

Admins 	= LDAP Administrators
People 	= Normal Email users
Profiles= Special accounts used by groups of people that represent
	  resources
Special = Usually Vendors or other contacts that don't fit our normal
	  tree

Most of our email groups are placed in under the basedn.

Without much more information, I don't know what you would like to know.

On Thu, Nov ,  at 10:06:59PM -0600, Steven Hildreth wrote:
> Any comments or other words of wisom regarding LDAP?
>
> Looks like I am going to be designing the data layout and the attribute definitions tomorrow, to
start to get the OpenLDAP server up and running for my companys mail lookup.

--
JD Runyan
		"You can't milk a point."