Flaky NT systems

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at home.com
Fri Nov 16 07:07:54 CST 2001

Your modem probably doesn't work because it is a Winmodem.  Meaning it's
not and NTmodem or Linmodem.  If you replaced with a PC Card that is NT
compatible then that should solve the problem.

Make sure you have the BIOS updated and all the latest drivers and
patches to your system.  And here is where it gets tricky.  You are
going to have to play with the order of installation.   You should know
what I mean.  I install a patch then a service pack then I have to
reinstall the patch.   Just take your time.  In the end I would
recommend Windows 98 SE if you have to have Windows on a laptop, due to
the hardware driver availability.   Or if they insist on NT on the
laptop, maybe not everything works.