boot time

Monty Harder lists at kc.rr.com
Thu Nov 15 02:15:39 CST 2001

JD Runyan <Jason.Runyan at nitckc.usda.gov> wrote:

>You need to figure out what you have.  What filesystems you are using,
>and whatever else.  I would trim it then add to it if things don' work.
>Don't remove the old kernel till you are set.

  Four words too many.  I always leave the stock kernel from the distro in
place, and set up LILO to boot the new kernel by default.  I consider that
precompiled kernel to be an essential fallback position, because you never
know for sure that you're "set", and it doesn't take up a significant amount
of space anyway.

  Of course, I'm a bit picky about backups.  I routinely keep a copy of the
stock kernel saved as /boot/linux.bak, and have a stanza in lilo.conf for
it, too.  That way, even if there's a problem with the HD that happens to
hit the kernel, I have another copy ready to go.