Introduction to Linux Class

Jim Herrmann Jim at itdepends.com
Tue Nov 13 05:07:41 CST 2001

My wife has a great idea.

Following on the heels of our wildly successful ITEC booth, we should put
together a program that introduces Linux to new people.  The West Wyandotte
branch of the KCK library (my wife volunteers there) has occasional free
"classes" for people to introduce them to various things, including computer
stuff.  I'm sure we would be welcome to put on a Linux dog and pony show for
any and all who would want to come.  We could schedule it for say January or
February, which would give us time to prepare materials and to advertise.  We
could do something like 2 hours of presentation, followed by Q&A.  This could
be something we do at other libraries around the city once we have the
presentation together.  I'm suggesting starting with WWKCKPL because my wife
works there, and it's a really great, well equipped library with an excellent
space for presentations.

So, is there interest within the group for putting in some time on an
advocacy project like this?  This would involve content creation, doing the
actual presentation, advertising, and answering questions.  There is probably
more parts to this that I just haven't thought of yet, but that's part of the
process, figuring out everything we would need to do to pull this off in a
professional manner.  I'll help with all aspects of this project and
coordinate it, but I need people to volunteer to do the grunt work, and
provide the intellectual content.

Discuss this project on the list, and I'll sit back and listen to what you
all have to say.  Remember to press "reply to all" then delete my address so
that I don't get duplicates of your posts.

Peace, Love, and Linux,
Jim Herrmann