power adapter

Duane Attaway dattaway at attaway.org
Sat Nov 10 14:58:25 CST 2001

I've run my 15V toshiba satellite directly off a car battery before...
keeps playing mp3's even if the car is started or going on long trips.

How would it see the 12 volts?  Most laptops have an internal switching
power supply to efficiently feed the 2 volt processor, charge the
batteries, bus voltages, hdd, inverter for the screen, etc...  If the main
power gets too low, a circuit should shut the unit down before the CPU is
starved of sufficient voltages needed for proper logic levels.

Just make sure its fused about 6 amps for the internal diode in case the
power supply is reversed.  Also, there should be a SCR crowbar circuit
that will clamp down on the power supply if a voltage peak reaches a
dangerously high threshold, say 20 volts, so that fuse is very important.

Don't worry, if you happen to stumble upon an inferior laptop design, you
will weed it out!