Wine, Whine, installs, aquariums and DOOR STOPS

Steve Johnson sjohnson at commercial-lithographing.com
Sat Nov 10 04:19:24 CST 2001

Rick,

I'm a right tool for the right job kinda guy, I am not a zealot for a
particular platform - any platform. If it ain't working, I move on.

I can see from your post that you have feelings well beyond what works and
what doesn't for these machines and I make it a habit not to interfere with
people's religion on the grounds of that is how wars are started.

I will now bow out, and apologize if I have offended you by not liking your
favorite computers.

sj

>===== Original Message From Rick Palmer <SMTP:repalmer at sunflower.org> =====
>Steve,
>

>I guess my 10 years of experience with about every mac made doesn't count
for
>much.
>

>OS-9 emulation has not worked well in production for graphics arts apps
(the
>last bastion of macintosh), particularly anything that was not written by
the
>big three (adobe, quark, microsoft).  I was hoping for a lot more than it
>delivered.  Maybe OS-XI...
>

>That's not what you said...running graphics apps emulation... you said:
>

>Yes Mac OS is great as long as you don't attempt to run any real
applications,
>or network it, or do any real work with it.  OS-X is great as long as you
>don't try to use any Mac aps on it.  I'm in the GA business, so I know just
>

>teensy bit about what I say on this subject....
>

>Which is of course gross hyperbole.  I've been using, networking and
supporting
>pretty much all silicon forms for the last 20 years-including VAX, VM, VMS
where
>I started.  I can tell you with a great deal of experience which takes more

of
>what.
>
>If you're in the support biz you know that statistically Macs take 1
support
>person per hundred and PCs take about 4 per hundred.   So when someone
tells
me
>that Bubba in Pokamo once couldn't keep the Macs running I know that Bubba
was
>inadequate.
>
>In fact, most PC guys that "have" to support Macs  end up making more work
for
>themselves because--1. they have to in order to justify their job and-- 2.
they
>don't know what they are doing and winging it... making minor problems more
>work.  Many do it on purpose...you know that for sure if you work in the
support
>biz too.
>
>Now running high end graphics is another story.  Its a strain on any
machine.
>Windows has way more than its share of problems doing that stuff.  But the
>standard has been  and remains Avid on the Macintosh.  Moves to get video
>editing people to change to Windows has been nearly universally negative-or
>riotous might be a better word.  Not because they just hate
Windows...because
>they hate more work to do less quality.  Most mobile news crews are
converting
>to Sony cameras and iBooks now.   The facts are just not with this
Mac-is-a-toy
>notion.  But you perpetuate this urban myth and someone is going to quote
you.
>Macs are right in the middle of every job that needs doing.
>
>Another notion that gets my blood pressure up is the when people invoke the
>Xerox Parc excuse for Microsofts theft.  Apple paid for anything they got
from
>Xerox.  They hired Xerox employees to help with technology that Xerox was
>tossing on the scrap heap.  The Parc computer didn't use a key board and
wasn't
>written in anything useful to production of the Mac.  Microsoft stole real
code
>and used large parts of that very same unaltered code to make the first
>Windows...Mac code was still lingering in Windows 98...I don't know about
later
>versions.  Its pretty disgusting to hear Gates talk about intellectual
property
>theft when he pulled the biggest theft of the 20th century.
>
>I'm the first to say that OS X is a little disappointing to me as a Mac OS
and I
>don't see how common folks will master it.    But that's my criticism of
Windows
>and Unix...  If any company can turn Unix into something regular humans can

use
>then it will be Apple.  Bank on it.
>
>And finally.  If you care to look. Apple is doing better than any of the PC
>vendors that a year ago were going to bury Apple.   Still turning a profit.
>Still being the most innovative.
>
>The other stuff is a about a note I wrote sometime back which didn't show
up
on
>the list for a couple months...then I had no time to deal with it when it
did.

>rick
>
>.
>

>Rick,
>

>Not sure I follow the sunflower post in the same email, but I must be
missing
>something...
>

>sj

have
no
>fear of screwing things up when they should be very afraid.  Converting PC
>people to Macs is more difficult because (formerly-OS 9) they were very
afraid
>of screwing things up when they should have been having fun.   My guess is
that
>Apple will be a dual OS company for quite sometime.  Maybe that's the way
it
>should be.
>

>Lastly and most important....
>
>Revisiting community/public networking/wireless .
>

>I do want to get back and discuss this seriously.  I posted that article
nearly
>2 months before it popped up on the list.  Recently we've been really busy
and I
>haven't had a chance to respond. So in a nut shell:
>

>Sunflower is a not for profit.  Sunflower has a long term track record of
>slugging it out with the corporate giants, improving/growing, and staying
in
>business.  Someone wanted to know what Sunflower brought to the table.
Frankly,
>Sunflower is the "public network" table right now.  All the rest is pipe
dream.
> If there is interest in shaping the direction etc then that requires
>participation.
>

>Sunflower is willing to finance things to whatever degree it can.  I don't
mean
>to minimize the financial commitment- it will be large.  Make no bones
about
it
>though-its a boot strap thing...but that's good.  That's why it can work.
>That's why you and me can play.  That's why the corporate giants will hate
us.

>We've been in discussions for a year with a national satellite TV provider
that
>needs Internet at apartment complexes where they can't put up dishes.  That

can
>provide a place to put broadcast stuff.  We could close that deal if we had

the
>manpower to actually get it done.
>

>Nothing should be on the slide.  We can't build it unless its all legal.
The
>big guys will shut us down if it isn't.
>

>I think those were the important points.
>

>All our effort right now is going towards becoming the first national not
for
>profit ISP.  We want to claim the title of NPR or PBS of computing. That
brings
>money and power to negotiate.  The national network is hot and we're on the
>financial clock tweaking the back end systems so we're swamped messing with
>those pesky hidden files.  :)  We will use the national network to build
out
>these wireless systems where ever there is interest.  Interest being
defined
as