Broadcast 2000 - An Open Source Tragedy

Gene Dascher gedascher at multiservice.com
Fri Nov 9 20:50:39 CST 2001

I was looking for the latest version of Broadcast 2000, and This was posted
on their website in lieu of a download option for the program:

After a long period of deliberation on the matter, Broadcast 2000 has been
removed
from public access due to excessive liability.

In recent months the line between warranty exemption and liability has
become
increasingly blurred as more companies have liquidated and more individuals
have
begun to seek compensation.

We've already seen several organizations win lawsuits against GPL/warranty
free
software writers because of damage that software caused to the organization.
Several involved the RIAA vs mp3/p2p software writers. Several involved the
MPAA vs media player authors. You might say that warranty exemption has
become quite
meaningless in today's economy.

While not related to either of these cases the distribution of Broadcast
2000 enhanced to unacceptable levels the risk of an individual experiencing
significant financial damage due to the extremely expensive nature of high
end video production and the high risk inherent in professional video
business marketing.

This has forced us to reconsider our liability protection at this time. We
still plan to continue offering minor works for download and in the coming
years, as the liability issues surrounding open source software are
resolved, we expect to issue newer major works.

THIS is why companies like Microsoft continue to churn out crap software
that has caused damage to organizations yet still thrives.  They have the
$$$$ to litigate, so no one wants to go toe-to-toe with them.  On the other
hand, small organizations can't foot the bill, so they fold instead of
getting dragged to court.  This makes me angry!  This makes me want to smack
the DOJ upside the head and yell "WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!!"  Is Microsoft
SOOOOOOOOOOOOO important to this country's economy that the Govt has to
pander to them by letting them get off way too easily?

If you care about this issue, PLEASE make sure that you find out the Address
that the Govt sets up for the 60 day public response to the Microsoft case.
Write a clear, concise letter outlining what a sham that settlement is and
MAIL IT IN!

OK, I'm done.

Gene