Linksys Firewall/router

Charles K. Lee II chuckx at cold-sun.com
Tue Nov 6 21:34:30 CST 2001

> Does anyone have any experience with hardware
> firewalls?  Are these Linysys devices any good and if not what is a good
> alternative?

I setup another computer with 2 NICs and it is running as a firewall and a
gateway for my Win2K box.  It's running Debian (testing), and has been a
reliable solution for me.

I prefer this approach, as opposed to a hardware router, because it gives me
greater control over what goes in, what goes out and what I can do.  Even
though it's not generally accepted as good security practice, I also run a
web server and a SSH server on the box.  Those two things are not possible
with a hardware router.  Even though you could forward the requests to an
another machine, I don't see any reason to spend money on a device that
really isn't needed (in my situation, at least).

--
- chuckx | Charles K. Lee II -
- chuckx at cold-sun.com -