ITEC HTML

Monty Harder lists at kc.rr.com
Sun Nov 4 20:07:31 CST 2001

Jim Herrmann <Jim at itdepends.com> wrote:

>I suppose you're right, but I thought Debian was not a good version for
>people who might be converting from windoze.  Please correct me if anyone

  Neither is Slack!  But that's not the point. The idea is to show that
Linux gives people freedom of choice in configuring their systems - even
though these distros are different in terms of system administration, a
program written for one should run on any of them, with some reconfiguration
possibly required.  And even more importantly, if the program in question is
GPLed, it most likely has already had that reconfiguration done by the
distributor, and is packaged for installation in each of them.  It's a good
idea to educate newbies to the fact that if the One True Distro they chose
to start with is frustrating them, they might find one of the other flavors
to be easier for them to deal with. I'm not a Debian person, but from what
they've told me, =maintaining= the system is easier than the RH-type
distros, because of the incredible simplicity of apt-get.