DSL providers?

Gerald Combs gerald at ethereal.com
Thu May 24 02:30:12 CDT 2001

On Wed, 23 May 2001, Duston, Hal wrote:

> Not _quite_ true.  Yes, you are getting your DSL from SW Bell,
> but the way that is done is by the DSL provider installing it's
> _own_ equipment in SW Bell's building.  They are using the line
> from your house to the SW Bell building, and then they split off
> the data and dump it into their own network at the SW Bell
> building I believe.  For more details (with attitude!) see
> http://groups.google.com/groups?safe=off&ic=1&th=b074b42d453fc2c0

This isn't quite true.  ASI (the SBC/PacBell/Ameritech subsidiary that
does all of their frame relay and DSL provisioning) can terminate a DSL
connection on any ATM circuit, from an ATM T1 to an OC-[sufficiently large
integer].  The equipment doesn't have to be colocated in a Bell central
office.  AFAIK, most local DSL connections travel over SBC's ATM network,
with the possible exception of ION and some rural LECs.

It's been my experience that many problems people have with DSL
(installation-wise, at least) and frame relay can be traced back to ASI's
severe lack of competence.  Despite this, no one seems to know that the
company even exists.  They don't have a web site, as far as I have been
able to determine - it's like they're some sort of shadow organization
bent on ruining people's online experience.