Old Hardware Rant

JEFF MCCRIGHT jmccright2 at excite.com
Mon May 14 18:43:34 CDT 2001

ALL,

FYI: It is possible to track down the monitor manufacturer by the FCC ID
Number. All electronic goods manufacturers who want to sell in the US must
apply for and receive an FCC approval and ID. This ID number can be searched
at the Federal Communications Comission's database which will yield the
original manufacturer, address, phone number, and in some cases, the
Website. Once the OEM is found, a simple search of the web usually provides
a website of the manufacturer. To access the FCC's database on-line, point
your browser to:

     http://www.fcc.gov/oet/fccid/

By the way, this works for unmarked/3rd party adapter cards, monitors,
keyboards, radios, and all kinds of other stuff!

HTH,

Jeff McCright