Old Hardware Rant

Michael Cox michael.cox at honeywell.com
Mon May 14 16:21:45 CDT 2001

On Mon, 14 May 2001, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
I recently set up a new PC to replace an old 486, and installed both
Windows95 and Mandrake 7.2.  I had no problems with the install or setup of
either, but when I delivered the machine it would run just fine under
Windows 95 at 800x600x24b (may have been higher but I'm sure of that), but
would not run X-windows at any resolution on the existing monitor.  The
monitor is some discount brand 15" three to five years old, and there's no
chance at all of ever finding a sync rate table for it, so I guess that
system will run Windows until and unless a different monitor is found.

Hmmm.   Mandrake isn't supposed to run on anything less than a Pentium, unless
you download their special distro.

--

  .-.          Michael Cox
  /v       Linux user 199542