Odd Firewall Problem

Monty Harder kclug at ware.cx
Mon May 14 13:36:55 CDT 2001

5/14/01 12:42:02 AM, "Steven L. Brendtro" <sbrendtro at home.com> wrote:

>Thanks everyone for the pointers... I finally tracked the problem down to
>the Windows clients.  For some reason everything but the DHCP DNS options
>are getting passed from the  network's DHCP server.  My quick fix was to go
>specify the DNS servers on each individual client (ACK).  I am going to
>check Microsoft Technet for notes regarding this issue.  Once again, it
>looks like Microsoft is to blame...  suprise, suprise :)

  Actually, this is =not= Microsoft's problem at all.  DHCP requests are broadcast, so the default
configuration of a router is to NOT propagate them to the next subnet.  This is why there's
supposed to be
either a DHCP server or relay agent on each subnet.  It is possible to configure a Linux router to
=be= the
relay agent, of course.