Odd Firewall Problem

Steven L. Brendtro sbrendtro at home.com
Sun May 13 08:08:11 CDT 2001

Hello all,

I recently set up a firewall to protect a private network which has been up
and running for about a month with no real problems.  I recently made some
modifications to the network (note to the ipchains rulesets) and have the
following problem...  Machines on the private network can ping the Internet,
having the traffic masqeraded, and they can even access websites by IP
address, but nothing works with domain names.

I would figure this to be a domain issue, but the firewall uses the same DNS
servers as the clients on the private net and the firewall has no problem
resolving any names.

I appreciate any help you can give... I have lost much hair and sleep over
this one so far... and the 20+ users on the private net aren't very happy.

Thanks,
Steven Brendtro
Lee's Summit, MO