Linux as a router/gateway

Jim Bradley jbradley at classicnet.net
Fri May 11 04:05:59 CDT 2001

** Reply to message from "Mick Ohrberg" <micke at kc.rr.com> on Thu, 10 May 2001
19:22:32 -0500

> For all ye Roadrunners and DSL:ers out there who only need something simple
> and have a 486DX## or a P-something to spare, check out
> http://www.coyotelinux.com/. That's what I'm running right now. Pretty slick
> if you know your ipfwdadm-rules.

I agree that it is a nice distribution to use with an old 486 (not 486SX) with
floppy only. It is very easy to setup, but only allows 2 nics, one for the
dsl/cable and one for the network. If you have a bit more machine, along with a
hard drive, e-smith has a nice server setup, available at http://www.e-smith.org
. It will setup daemons for DNS, SMB, FTP, and HTTP, and is easy to configure
via a web interface (I had to edit the ipchains statements, as my ISP prohibits
servers, so I had to hide mine on the internet side.)

Jim Bradley -- Maryville, MO USA (jbradley at classicnet.net)