Redhat 7.1 Install

Jeremy Fowler jfowler at westrope.com
Sat May 5 23:01:23 CDT 2001

Actually, I only got that kernel panic once, and that was when I entered in this
boot option:

boot: linux mem=256M expert text

(On a side note: Is it still a good idea to tell the kernel how much memory is
in the system, or does it find that out just fine on its own now?)

However, when I just did:

boot: expert text

It came up fine. I was still unable to load the promise drivers. Most likely
because the drivers are compiled for RH 6.2 & 7 (kernel 2.2), not 7.1 (kernel
2.4).

So I'm installing 7.1 on a third IDE drive that I attached to the first IDE
controller and when I have a working 7.1 install, I'll compile the rel source
code I found on promise's ftp server and make a loadable module for the
FastTrack100 that will load under 7.1. I'll let everyone know how it goes and
I'll make the module available for anyone who wants it. Don't know if it will
work, but it'll be fun trying.

-Jeremy