Windows Media Player for Linux - in Prague

Mike Coleman mkc at mathdogs.com
Tue May 1 05:57:33 CDT 2001

"Tony Hammitt" <tony at speedscript.com> writes:
> I'm cool, don't worry about me.   We're on my wife's health insurance plan.

Smart.

> Thanks to all for your concern.  The lack of vacation is troubling to me, too
> but I guess I'll have to put up with it.  This is to me just a Get-Out-Of-Debt
> job so I can eventually go back to doing things I like more.  I guess what bugs
> me about it is the paycut I took in coming here was about doubled when I
> found out about the no vacation thing.  Irritating.

Yes, very irritating.  (And a "Get-Out-Of-Debt" job is supposed to pay *above*
average...  ;-)

Several years ago, I managed to go all the way through an interview and get
hired at SPCS without me discovering or them mentioning that I'd be required
to wear a pager 24x7 and be on call a significant amount of time.  Doh.  Of
course, I burned out in about 9 months, so we both lost.

> But as Mike suggested, perhaps I should have been paying more attention and
> asking more questions.

Don't misunderstand me.  I'm not trying to criticize you, and I'm totally on
your side in this.  I just think we geeks (speaking for myself, anyway) need
to do better and standing up for ourselves.  (There was an interesting
Slashdot story on this today.)

I've noticed in myself and others an irrational tendency to not switch (as an
employee) away from an unacceptable job or (as a customer) away from an
unacceptable product or service, and I'm trying to do something about that,
for myself.

--Mike

Mike Coleman, mkc at mathdogs.com
  http://www.mathdogs.com -- problem solving, expert software development