Jobs?

Jason D. Runyan Lists Account jrunyan.lists at dms.nwcg.gov
Wed Mar 28 16:07:02 CST 2001

I'll throw in my 2 cents as well.  I finally finished my degree in Computer Science a year ago
(8yrs start to finish and 230 credit hours). The math and physics you get at a 4 year university is
worth every penny, and the social environment of a university should not be passed up by a
traditional student.  I would recommend talking to KU and UMKC about there programs.  I started at
KSU and finished at Pitt-State.  I enjoyed the smaller school over KSU, because the professors
taught most all of the classes that I took.  I took night classes at UMKC, and most classes over
300 level were taught by professors as well.  All I'm trying to say is make sure you find the best
school for you, and not just the fastest way out.  I tried to take the fast way out and got burned
on college, until my wife gave me a kick in the butt to go back.

As far as the pay.  You should aim higher, but since you are looking at part time you might be
right on.  Check out data centers, they usually have operations departments that take care of
monitoring, and minor fixes of the systems.  You could then take a night position.  Any large
company should have positions in there LAN support groups.  You may have wiggle in as an intern or
something, but experience and potential credit hours could follow.

Hope that helps