Jobs?

Tony Hammitt thammitt at kc.rr.com
Wed Mar 28 13:56:05 CST 2001

Time to start another flamewar =-]

I think that the 'tech' schools don't teach enough of the things that real
professionals need to know.  First off, they don't require enough Math or
Physics to let their students understand why the things they are learning
work the way they work.  Then there's the lack of the liberal arts subjects,
which I think are important to give you a sense of your place in soceity.
(and also important to make you realize that you can't be an expert in
everything, which is somewhat lacking in a lot of technologists)

There are a lot more examples of how getting a University degree better
prepares you for the work world.  For one, there's the environment you're
in, with lots more choices about which professors' classes to take.  Also,
it's nice to be in a place with advanced students.  If you get stuck on
some project, you can usually find someone to help who actually knows how
to help you.  Gene complained about bad teachers who don't know what they
are teaching.  You will have a hard time finding that in a University, the
problem is more often that the teachers know too much about the subject
and have a hard time initially teaching it.

As a further debate point, I'll point to the standard complaint about MCSEs,
that they get all of this idealized book learning situations, which don't
really have much to do with the real world.  When I was at a senior ISU, I
won a 4 year, $300000 research grant from a fortune 100 company for my
research team.  It paid for my Graduate school.  That opportunity wouldn't
arise at a 2-year college.  Things didn't go perfectly; we fixed them. Etc.

Going to a University is worth the extra time.

Just my opinion,

	Tony Hammitt