Uh-oh...

Jonathan Hutchins, Rune Webmaster hutchins at therune.com
Fri Mar 23 16:50:34 CST 2001

---- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Kelsay" <bkelsay at home.com>

> And I thought that programs like Comet Cursor and those stupid pests,
> er, pets were just getting put on the client computers at work to keep
> me busy.

> In all seriousness, of the computers that come to me for repair, 90%
> have 2-5 of these type of programs loaded on them and are causing freaky
> lockups.

I've had pretty good luck with a policy that users aren't allowed to install
executable programs on their PC's.  We are planning to roll out a software
inventory some time this year, but my site really doesn't need it.  I think
I have an unusually good relationship with my users, and they understand the
reasons for this policy.

It helps that we run NT, and users don't have administrative rights, so a
lot of stuff just won't install, but I think it's their cooperation more
than anything that helps.

If you can speak with supervisors and explain that it's not an arbitrary
rule; it's costing productivity in their department, you should be able to
get some cooperation.

jrh

"Hardware is effectively zero cost.  What costs real money is an effective
employee's time."