Off Topic - Novell Contractor Needed

Jeremy Fowler jeremy at microlink.net
Wed Mar 21 23:24:23 CST 2001

> Well yeah, if you're running DOS.  It has no place in a network where the
> workstations are running Windows 95 or something more current.

"Blasphemer! You'll smoke a turd in Hell for that one!" -Robin Williams

Windows 95 current? What are you talking about. Novell integrates with any
Microsoft OS including Windows 2000 and Me, and all Netware Client versions are
backward compatible with any version of Netware even 3.12. If your clients were
using older versions of Netware than 3.12, then yeah you probably should upgrade
them to 5.0 or 5.1, but not to NT.

> Having maintained Novell networks for three years, and having converted
> maybe 100 sites from Novell to NT, I stand firm in saying it has no place on
> a current production network.  Typically service calls are reduced to 1/3 or
> fewer when Novell is eliminated.

I really suggest you read this page:
http://members.home.net/njholland/computer/nw-vs-nt.htm

Here's a quote from it that fits perfectly well in this situation:

-- Quote --
NT does NOT have a lower support cost than Netware

Now, this is not to say that a poorly designed, poorly implemented Netware
network can't be more difficult to maintain than a well designed NT network, but
this reflects the skills of the installer and administrator, not the merits of
the product itself.  I have seen some terrifyingly poorly designed Netware
networks, installed by people I wouldn't trust to install Windows 95 on a
workstation.
-- End Quote --

> I won't even interview with a company that's running Novell servers.  If
> they didn't have the savvy to ditch them by 1998, it's a sign of severe
> myopia on the part of management, and implies other more serious problems in
> the workplace.

Ok, you are showing signs of complete ignorance and personally I don't think you
know what the hell you are talking about. Instead of just blabbing off about how
Novell sucks, why don't you give us some reasons why you have come to this
decision? Can you honestly give use an example situation in which NT would be
better than Novell and why? I could give you a hundred reasons why NT falls
short in comparison to Netware, read that page from the URL above and ask
yourself, Are you a sheep or a shepherd?

-Jeremy