Thanks for the help!

John Gardner BarleyMarsh at mailandnews.com
Mon Mar 12 19:45:47 CST 2001

For those who remember, I asked for assistance in getting Linux set up on a
laptop that didn't have a CD-ROM. I was using a Slackware 7.0 distribution,
and I was having lots of trouble with getting it to recognize my PCMCIA setup.
I was responsible for some of the increased baldness at the last installfest
as people started to pull their hair out trying to come up with ideas.

Well, thanks to Michael McCool, who loaned me a PCMCIA CD-ROM, I was able to
get Slackware installed last night. After a few false starts, I did the
following:

A) Boot using the BAREAPM.I diskette
B) Login using the COLOR.GZ root diskette
C) Invoke PCMCIA from the PCMCIA diskette
D) Mount the newly-recognized device (in my case, 'mount /dev/hdc /cdrom '
worked out after a few additional false starts)
E) Run the Setup procedure, selecting the mounted CD-ROM as the source

Now that I've gotten that done, I just have to do a little bit of tweaking to
get X running (teach it to recognize the mouse port and the screen properly).
However, had it not been for the excellent support (both technical and moral!)
from you, I would still be scratching my head.

Thanks a million! I hope I can get to the point where I can return the favor
sometime!

John Gardner
barleymarsh at mailandnews.com

If I can be of any help whatsoever, you're in even bigger trouble than I
thought!
	-- Anonymous