Mainstream . . . (LONG)

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Wed Jan 31 16:42:18 CST 2001

Brad,

   Sorry! I misunderstood. Problem with us 20+ years of experience and BS in
CS people is we tend to over-analyze things and we know enough to really get
ourselves in trouble fooling around with things. Funny coincidence I am also
20+ yrs exp and BS in CS. I agree on one point only, and that is the system
isn't quite there for Joe & Jill Average. Because of installing things. But,
Joe & Jill Average don't install Windows either. Joe & Jill Average buy a
preconfigured system. This is the market approach that needs to be taken. My
wife is perfectly happy to compute away in either Windows or Linux, because
she got her system preconfigured by a professional (at least they tell me I
am). Example, Friday the Windows PC HD died an untimely death. I plugged in
a Linux Pc for her to use and now she is happily plugging away in Linux. End
of Story. Linux can be made ready, it's just the marketing that needs to be
done. One thing that has been sorely lacking is configuration and
installation software. But there are some tools out there now. It just needs
shrink wrapping.

IMNSHO,
Brian

Brian Densmore <mailto:DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com>