Brian's Newbie question of the day

Mike Coleman mcoleman2 at kc.rr.com
Wed Jan 24 22:50:58 CST 2001

Brian Densmore <DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com> writes:
> If I take my sendmail server out of daemon mode and have cron run it every
> 10 minutes, so as to enhance system security. What happens if someone tries
> to send mail to the hosted domains during that time? Will some application
> "wake" up sendmail to receive or does it go into that blackhole of failed
> mail delivery? I don't have a mail forwarder anywhere.

AFAIK, you either have to have your mailer (sendmail) running all of the time
in daemon mode, or it has to be set up to be activated by inetd when someone
hits port 25 (smtp).  (I don't know whether sendmail works in this latter
mode, but some mailers do.)

If you don't have one of these going, you're not going to have reliable
inbound email.

--Mike

--
[O]ne of the features of the Internet [...] is that small groups of people can
greatly disturb large organizations.  --Charles C. Mann