DSL questions - Heads up Sprint guys....

Charles K. Lee II chuckx at cold-sun.com
Wed Jan 17 17:34:33 CST 2001

FYI,

When they advertise saying "download speeds of 1.5 M," they mean 1.5
megabits/second. Which, when you do the math, is equivalent to 192
kilobytes/sec or 1,572,864 bits/second.

You say you're getting speeds only up to 393,048 bits/second (49
kilobytes/sec), which isn't all that bad.  The speed at which you transfer
degrades as you get farther away from the office the DSLAM is at.  For
example, both my friend and I have SWBell DSL, and I average at 50-100K/sec,
sometimes reaching 150K+/sec.  However, he hardly ever get above 50K/sec.
This is due to a variety of factors, including quality of wiring in his
house, distance from DSLAM, etc.  And not all of those issues are resolvable
by the phone company.

By the way, I'm new to this list.  Just wanted to send a "what up" to all
the fellow Linux users out there.  Right now I've got a Debian box I'm
eventually going to setup as a gateway/server, along with a Win2K box that
will be sitting behind it.  So, you can probably expect an iptables question
or two coming from me in the near future.

Charles K. Lee II
[email]> chuckx at cold-sun.com
[web]> http://www.chuckx.com