Hello (And MIME troubles)

Cox, Michael michael.cox at honeywell.com
Thu Jan 11 16:40:18 CST 2001

Thanks for the welcome!  I don't get down to 12th Street very often, but
perhaps I can stop by during on of the meetings sometime.

In the meantime...  :-(  I seem to have messed something up on my home
machine (Mandrake 7.1, KDE/1, AMD-K6).  Every time I fire it up it says that
it cannot find mime type audio/x-wav in
usr/share/applnk/Multimedia/Sound/Media Player.kdelnk  (that path is from
memory, but I believe it's correct).

This started after I uninstalled Realplayer7 in preparation of Realplayer8.
Unfortunately, both downloads of RP8 (from different servers) come back with
"...is not for this architecture" !  Still waiting for Real.com to get their
act together.

Apps like XMMS can still play wav files, and KDE's sounds still work, but I
can't play a wav file directly from kmail, nor will the warning sound be
heard if I open a root file manager.

The file "Media Player.kdelnk" exists, and it's the same file as on other
machines.  I guess I'm missing a mime definition file somewhere that some
apps use, and others (apparently) don't need.

Anyone ever see anything similar?

Michael Cox