IP Routing Question

Gerald Combs gerald at zing.org
Wed Jan 3 21:57:36 CST 2001

On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, Monty J. Harder wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Jan 2001 13:52:08 -0600 mike neuliep <mike at illiana.net> writes:
>

> > You can mix and match internal and external IPs in your own network
> > without
> > breaking anything so long as target machines use external IPs and
> > all routers
> > on your network are properly configured.  However doing this isn't
> > considered
> > a best practice.  Furthermore, by doing this, you could be in
>

>   But =why= would it not be considered "best practice"?  It sounds like
> I'm properly applying the RFC 2050 criteria, which puts the highest
> priority on conservation of the IPv4 public address space.

You're also sacrificing interoperability, reliability, ease of use, and
sanity for...

        1/64th of a class C.

Ok, in your case it's 3/32nds.  Still, if you're that concerned about
address conservation, go bug Ford, IBM, Apple, UMKC, and all of those
other organizations that are using their class As and Bs in a grossly
inefficient manner.  Apple, for example, has the entire 17/8 block.  They
most likely aren't using 16-some-odd million addresses internally, and
they most certainly don't have that many addresses exposed to the public
Internet.  So why in this age of address scarcity do they still have the
17/8 block?  Why does UMKC have the entire 134.193/16 block, when it could
more reasonably and securely get by on a couple of class Cs in front of a
private net?

Yes, you can use RFC 1918 address out on the open Internet.  The
Time/Warner and IDIR traceroutes show real-world examples of people doing
this.  However, it requires planning, effort, and risk that IMHO just
isn't worth what little you gain.