Open Source Drivers

Jonathan hutchins at opus1.com
Mon Feb 26 21:40:06 CST 2001

And the license -  even free software has a sort of shrink-wrap policy
"...by using this code you agree to abide by the terms of this license...".
And if you derive code from licensed code, then offer that code as your own
contrary to the terms of the license, you can be sued by the licensor.

> Releasing the source code is no different than releasing the blueprint
> of a building or schematics of an electronic circuit.

And if you've ever tried to diagnose complex electronics without a
schematic, or really tried to reverse-engineer serious software from the
output of a disassembler, you'll know that you're making it sound more
trivial than it is.

Yes, open source software is a lot like offering the schematic for the
device you've built, something most serious electronics firms do without the
need to worry about people copying the design.