Bugs are bad, they are not job security (Was: spam)

Franklin, Joel JDFranklin at moheck.com
Thu Feb 22 18:26:10 CST 2001

> And one more thing.  Why do we hate Microsoft so much when it's
> such a goldmine for consultants?  If everyone quite using Microsoft
> products today (or if they actually got their act together) then I'd
> bet 80% of the consultants around the world would be out of work...

Right. And if crime, disease, and war disappeared, doctors, policemen, and
soldiers would be out of work.

If one person (Microsoft programmer) breaks 1,000,000 things, 1,000 other
people are forced to fix 1,000 instances of the problem. They can not
produce new and useful things. The opportunity costs are astounding.