Mainstream . . . (LONG)

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Mon Feb 12 22:17:39 CST 2001

I'm not saying configurability is bad, but I know many people outside of
techies like us. Some are computer literate, intelligent people, some are
computer illiterate intelligent people, some are neither. I'm saying
configurability = complexity. What we need are interfaces and 'wizards' that
hide that complexity, while retaining the configurability. People don't want
to have to remember which item buried 15 layers deep in some menu/control
panel controls what. Heck, I don't like remember that myself. It is
frustrating, I am now running Helix Gnome and its so damn configurable that
I can't get it to "open" gif files by clicking or double clicking on them in
a file manager (KDE does that by default). Another thing, the interfaces
better start out by default with W* point and click associations, or Joe
average will get frustrated. It's bad enough having to learn all the
behaviors of one GUI. Of course this is all dependent on the intended
audience. If the audience is only going to be computer professionals and
hackers, well then KDE and Gnome are perfect the way they are. This is of
course also dependent on the age of the users being targeted. Younger people
tend to be more computer literate.

Best Regards,
Brian

Brian Densmore <mailto:DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com>