Mainstream . . . (LONG)

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Mon Feb 12 14:44:33 CST 2001

Walter,

   Only one flaw in your logic. Linux and KDE/Gnome are powerful, stable,
and infinitely =configurable=.
    Therein lies the problem.
    The more configurable, the less marketable to =mainstream= audiences.
Interfaces need to be dumbed down a bit for the average user, believe me I
know from personal experience. Complex things tend to turn average people
off. which explains why people use cassette players instead of reel tape
players (except of course professional recorders), even though the reel
players/recorders are superior [they're just too complicated].

Remember Rich Cook's definition of programming:
   Programming: A race between Software Engineers
(striving to make bigger and better idiot-proof programs)
and the Universe
(striving to make bigger and better idiots).
So far the Universe is winning!

PS. I also pay for my Linux software, for all the reasons you do. although I
generally buy direct.

Best Regards,
Brian

Brian Densmore <mailto:DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com>