Dumb Question

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Tue Feb 6 17:38:36 CST 2001

> Well that's the thing now isn't it?  We want Linux to do
> firewall duty on
> our old junky hardware so we don't have to buy the Linksys or
> the Netgear or
> whatever $200-black-box-solution ya wanna buy. We are
> techies. We can't help
> it.

Absolutely! Why should we spend $200 on something we can build in 36 hours
of work!?
;')>

> > I can't help you, but I'm hoping you can help me..... I'd
> be interested in
> > knowing what you used for network properties, particularly DNS,
> > on your Win
> > box behind the gateway... (you have one, right?)
> >
> > I'd also be interested in looking at your ipchains
> script....I've been
> > trying to set up ipchains and ipmasq on the Comcast at home
> network here in
> > Independence for about a month now...

Use the DNS settings given you by your ISP, use your Linux box address as
the gateway, make sure your ipchains allow all for your internal network,
also allow inbound from you ISP address for the services you want to use,
and deny all else (that's an important step, default is to allow all). Order
is important (like order allow,deny - not deny,allow). Make sure you insmod
any *masq modules you want to allow like icqmasq for internet chat and
ftpmasq for ftp. Oh and turn on IP-forwarding on the windows box. I could
give you specifics if I was at home.

Best Regards,
Brian
Brian Densmore <mailto:DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com>