Insanity to follow . . . I'm going Linux (postal?)

Bradley Miller bradmiller at dslonramp.com
Tue Feb 6 14:52:01 CST 2001

At 08:13 AM 2/6/01 -0600, you wrote:
>I noticed that some configuration file (probably /etc/securetty) got upgraded
>in the process of going to 2.4 and now I have to log in as a regular user at
>the console instead of being able to directly log in as root.  I approve of
>this since it keeps track of who logged in as root.  It's a little
off-putting
>on a home system, but I can certainly recommend it for any commercial system.
>
>This may be the problem you're having.  If you can log in as a regular user
>then su, change the settings in /etc/securetty.
>
>Later,
>
>	Tony

Yea, that's what I thought too.   I can cd to / and everyting is drwxr-x---
so it looks like it's locked down pretty good all right.   I think I'll
just install again and this time I won't have it install "Fort Knox" on
security.    At least this distro found and worked the 3c509 card
correctly.  I had battled for months (on and off) trying to get RH6.1 to
see it.

-- Bradley Miller