More mainstream . . .

Eric Rossiter rossiter at discoverynet.com
Thu Feb 1 22:41:48 CST 2001

> This leads me to the next question -- what's the best way to partition a
> drive?  How much do I need for / and /usr and that????

> -- Bradley Miller

Hi Brad...

The Sybex RHCE Red Hat Certified Engineer Study Guide recommends the minimum
drive partitions as follows:

    Workstation (KDE or GNOME, and this the default)( deletes all existing
ext2 partitions)
        64MB swap
        16MB /boot (below cyl 1024)
        root partition ( / ) that uses the remaining free space.

The above will take about 600MB.

Server installation takes approx. 1.6 MB ( deletes all existing partitions)
caveat-emptor!!!
    following partitions should be kept in a single partition:
        /
        /etc
        /lib
        /bin
        /sbin
        /dev
    dir's that are often mounted on seperate partitions:
        /home
        /opt
        /tmp
        /usr
        /usr/local
        /var
    On a dual HD setup (both 5 GB), book recommends at least 1GB space for
user's home             directories and 2GB space for commercial apps
installed in /opt.   *shrugs*

It usually just depends on what the machine will be used for....... I
personally have 3 RH boxes here at work, one at home, and managed to get RHJ
6.2 on a DELL Inspiron 700 laptop.
On all but one of these boxes I have created the following:
        /boot (16 MB or so)
        /swap (2 to 3X's the system memory, max of 4GB)
        / contains everything else..........

The very first box I ever installed Linux on I tried developing my own
partitioning size scheme, and man, am I sorry.....now I have more than ample
space in dir's where I don't need any and getting low on space in dir's
where I do need more room....and I was told I can't re-allocate without a
re-install......

On the boxes since, that I have loaded the above partitioning scheme onto, I
have no problems as far as space is concerned.  I do believe there are some
caveats to partitioning the drive as I have laid out, but I can't remember
them.. ( maybe someone can chime in heah...)

I haven't been at this Linux thang long (6 months), but hopefully some of
this info will help....  =)

Eric