Mainstream . . . (LONG)

Brian Densmore bjdensmr at epsi.net
Thu Feb 1 12:53:18 CST 2001

On Tue, 30 Jan 2001, Monty J. Harder wrote:

>   I disagree.  Linux will always have the advantage of having open
> source, which allows someone to fix things that MS refuses to admit are
> even broken in the first place.  What Linux lacks for the non expert
> person is a uniform, idiot-proof system for installing hardware and
> software.  But we're getting there.

You should read the lastest Linux Mag. They talk about Microsoft's .Net
initiative. The are headed in the right direction. The future is not going to
be the OS but the modules that plug into it. Linux or some variant of it will
eventually become the ruling OS, if it can incorporate modularity. I mean true
modularity. Like I create this great new application, but don't need to write
15 million interfaces to other programs to use it. We need to get away from
dependence on libc and build callable object interfaces.

It's not the OS, it's what you can do with it.

Humbly submitted for your review,
Brian