Mainstream . . . (LONG)

Randy Rathbun randy at randyrathbun.org
Thu Feb 1 03:32:41 CST 2001

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Bradley Miller wrote:

> At 06:43 PM 1/31/01 -0500, you wrote:
>
> Have I said "death to Linux" or "I'm not using it!"???  No -- I'm just
> frustrated that Linux is where it is and as far (or not as far) as it is.

But ya gotta admit this, it is pretty damned impressive for something that
is written by a bunch of geeks in their spare time.

By the way, I have thought long and hard about some of the very same
issues you have raised, and have been tempted by the dark side to return
to their flashy eye candy.  Then I think about how much money I spent on
half-assed software that really sucks and then I realize I really am
happier now than I was three years ago. And I go to work and am greeted
with "Thank you for using NOTEPAD.EXE. You must now restart your
computer." messages every day and I KNOW I am happier.

Something else I need to say too - when I first installed Linux in 1995 I
got fed up with it very quickly. Then in 1999 I put RH 5.2 on a system at
work. Now I am running SuSE 7.0. The difference is staggering! Things are
much easier today than they were even a year ago when I had Caldera
running.

I can't wait to see what the next six months brings!

Randy Rathbun                            randy at randyrathbun.org
http://astrodot.org - 100% Amateur Astronomy. No preservatives.
http://randyrathbun.org          http://quitequitefantastic.org

"There is no sweeter sound than the crumbling of one's fellow man."
 ~ Groucho Marx