Netscape 6.1

Gerald Combs gerald at ethereal.com
Tue Aug 14 13:42:17 CDT 2001

On Mon, 13 Aug 2001, Jim Herrmann wrote:

> Is anyone else trying out Netscape V6.1?  If so, what do you think?  I
> downloaded and installed it this weekend.  It seems to be WAY more
> stable than 6.01, but that is not saying much.  Actually, I can't
> remember it crashing at all in the three days since I started using it.
>   The browser is plenty fast, but the mail client seems a bit slow, but
> everything appears to be working as advertised.  I was able to get all
> my mail and addresses moved over from 4.77, but it took awhile to get it
> all straightened out because the install migrated my Mozilla profile,
> which I hadn't been using full time, rather than my NS profile, which I
> had been using.  That is one nice thing about staying in the same
> lineage of browser/mail, the mail files can simply be copied from one to
> the other.  For the most part, it looks like Mozilla 0.9.2, with a few
> extras thrown in.

I started using Mozilla as my primary browser when 0.9.2 came out (I'm now
using 0.9.3).  It renders pages fast, but opening a new window often takes
a while.  I have it configured to disable pop-up windows, loop through
animated GIFs only once, and to use Google as its default search engine.
These three features more than offset the slowness, IMO.